Orthodontic Treatment for Adults
Orthodontic treatment is no longer just for teens; in fact, the American Association of Orthodontists sites that one in five orthodontic patients is over the age of 21! Many adults choose to receive treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining their health, and they want to feel better about their appearance. Adults everywhere are taking advantage of the opportunity to receive orthodontic care, and now you can too.
Common reasons why adults are considering orthodontic treatment:
- A bad bite, or malocclusion, causing teeth to fit together incorrectly
- Teeth that are crowded or spaced apart
- Abnormal pain, or pressure, caused by crooked teeth
- To have a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Treatment options for adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces is enough to discourage them from receiving treatment. Today's orthodontic treatment options however, offer a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, esthetic, and customized to meet your needs. Options include:
- Clear ceramic braces
- Invisalign treatment
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between adult orthodontics and orthodontics for children and teens:
There are actually not many differences between adult and child orthodontics; however, in children and teens the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may mean that the jaws need to be surgically aligned. Other problems adults may have that require orthodontic treatment to correct include:
- Gum disease (periodontal disease) — Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gum disease. Straight teeth are easier to clean and thus are less likely to develop gum problems.
- Worn or missing teeth — Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt creating a bad bite. A bad bite can create severe problems with one or more teeth which could result in the loss of the involved tooth/teeth.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen — Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognizes that adults and children have different needs, and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatment, and that your needs are met with understanding, respect, and full commitment from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing, and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence — Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse — Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it's needed can create long-term health issues, and end up costing you more in the end.
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.